Trident Medical Services

A Partnership For Your Health At Work.

What is an occupational health physician?

Norovirus – the winter vomiting bug

An occupational health physician is a qualified doctor who specialises in occupational health. They possess a relevant post-graduate qualification in occupational medicine recognised by the Faculty of Occupational Medicine. Some doctors have a Diploma in Occupational Medicine (DOccMed) although these are generally GPs who wish to gain more skills in this area. Specialist occupational health physicians will be either a Member (MFOM) or Fellow (FFOM) of the Faculty of Occupational Health, demonstrating that they have the specialist qualifications and training.  

Some physicians are also HSE-appointed doctors in the following statutory areas:

An occupational health physician may work in-house for an employer, or they may work for an independent occupational health services provider. Alternatively, they may be self-employed.

Their role will most likely include the following:

  • visiting workplaces to advise on health and safety provision;
  • assessing the fitness of employees to undertake specific tasks;
  • recommending relevant adjustments that may be required in the workplace;
  • monitoring the health of employees by undertaking ongoing health surveillance, particularly for employees who work with certain chemicals, substances and machinery;
  • assessing individual cases of injuries and illnesses;
  • case managing employees who are absent from work on sick leave, liaising with the employee, employer and other relevant healthcare practitioners.

All of our physicians at TMS are members of The Faculty of Occupational Health and we have some physicians who are also HSE-appointed doctors in the areas outlined above. To find out more about how we can help with your occupational health needs take a look at our services.